AUDITIONS for BILLY ELLIOT the musical
AUDITION TIME/DATE: 9am-12noon (doors open at 9:30am) – Saturday, October 7th
AUDITION LOCATION: SHENANARTS, 300 Churchville Avenue, Staunton VA
ABOUT THE SHOW:
Based on the wildly successful feature film that captured hearts and minds worldwide, BILLY ELLIOT is the funny, heartwarming tale of a young boy with a dream, and a feel-good celebration of his triumph against the odds. Bringing this gripping tale to the stage are none other than the original creative team; director Stephen Daldry, choreographer Peter Darling and writer Lee Hall-together
with music legend Elton John.
Director – Greg A. Beam
Choreography by Julia A. Vessey
Producers: Michael E. Conner and John K. Craft
Billy Elliot: This character has been cast.
Michael: This character has be cast.
- MRS. WILKINSON: The local ballet teacher who eventually becomes Billy’s mentor. Hardened and mouthy, she actually has capacity for caring when she sees promise in Billy. Believes in the power of personal expression through dance.
Stage Age: 30- 50 years old
Vocal Range: Gb3-Bb5
- JACKIE ELLIOT: Billy’s stoic father. A widowed miner struggling with maintaining a household in lieu of a work strike, he is still deeply scarred by the death of his wife. Billy’s dancing initially sends him into a rage but he learns to support his son.
Stage Age: 35-45 years old
Vocal Range: A2-Eb4
- TONY: Billy’s brother, a lazy but passionate miner. Hotheaded and scrappy with seemingly no regard of respect for his father, although he shares his disapproval of dance.
Stage Age: 18 -25 years old
Vocal Range: D3-F4
- GRANDMA: Billy’s eccentric grandmother. She is forgetful and a little aloof. Despite her inattention, she harbors a bitter resentment towards her dead abusive husband but has found solace through dance.
Stage Age: 60-75 years old
Vocal Range: F#3-F#4
- DEBBIE WILKINSON: The ballet teacher’s daughter. A bit stand-offish and argumentative, her childhood crush on Billy leads her to constantly discourage him.
Stage Age: 9 to 12
Height Limit: 5’2
- BALLET GIRLS (Angela Robson, Tracey Atkinson, Keeley Gibson, Tina Harmer, etc): An ensemble of energetic, confident girls of all body types and ethnicities to play the featured dancers in Mrs. Wilkinson’s class. Strong dance abilities a must.
Stage Age: 8-14 years old
Height Limit: 5’2
- JENNY ELLIOT: Billy’s mother. Although she died two years previously, she appears to Billy in dreams multiple times during the show.
Stage Age: 30-40 years old
- MR. BRAITHWAITE: The piano accompanist and overall “right hand man” to Mrs. Wilkinson at the dance school.
- GEORGE: A miner who is also the town’s boxing coach and the emcee at the annual Christmas party.
- ADULT BILLY: Very strong, classically trained ballet dancer.
Stage Age: 20-25 years old
- MULTIPLE ENSEMBLE ROLES include Miners, Police Officers, Royal Ballet School Members, etc. Ensemble members will be used heavily throughout the show and should be strong singers and/or dancers.
Have prepared a 2 songs (1 slow and 1 up temp to show your vocal ability) with sheet music in the appropriate key – an accompanist will be provided. You may bring prerecorded music (on your phone), speakers will be provided.
Cold readings from the script are possible. Will be required to attempt Geordie accent during audition.
Be prepared to dance (wear comfortable clothing) and bring appropriate footwear (sneakers). Optional to bring: tap, ballet, jazz shoes.
If you have tap background/training bring 30 seconds of prepared tap number.
Provide a current resume and a headshot IF available.
Questions? Comments? Concerns?
Contact the production team at any time via email at firstname.lastname@example.org